Friday, March 29, 2013

Cat Medication: Money-Saving Tip

I'm so sorry I've been so bad about posting to this blog.  I've been trying to find a good balance between my new writing position, Fur Everywhere, this blog, and other daily activities.  I do plan on being better at posting here at least once a week.  I want this blog to be a good place to find helpful information for cats and their humans. :)

I wanted to let you know of a great little money-saving tip.

Jewel takes Benazepril for her high blood pressure.  She's on 1/4 of a 5mg. pill twice a day.  Our wonderful veterinarian sells them for $30 per month's supply.  I didn't think this price was bad.  

A friend of mine wondered if Benazepril might be on one of the $4 generic lists some pharmacies have these days, so he helped me check that out.  

We found that Walgreen's will sell us a month's supply of pills (15 in this case) for $15. 

Next, we checked the King Soopers.  They said they could sell us the medication for $4.  I'm sure that some of the other stores that have the $4 generics could also do this, but we haven't checked any others.  I don't know all of the pharmacies who do the $4 generics, but I know Wal-Mart and Target also have this program.  If you know of other stores who participate, please let me know in the comments section, and I'll add them to the post.

The vet is nice to cut Jewel's pills into fourths for us, but if you can find your cat's medication cheaper like we did, you can get a pill cutter and cut the medication yourself at home.  I got Jewel's pill cutter at King Soopers for approximately $4.50.  

I hope this information is useful to some humans out there.  It's always good to save green papers - that way you'll have more to spoil your fur baby with! :)


Jewel's enjoying her favorite fleece blanket.

6 comments:

  1. This is a great tip! Another is to be aware that some of the places with generic medications have an annual fee to use their service, and some don't. (Walgreens does -- we paid $25 for an individual / $35 for a family when we signed up a couple years ago... and we ended up getting a membership card with Angel Talia's name on it, since she was the first one who needed the generic meds from there!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some great advice. The mom usually goes to Target and we know they offer many $4 generics. It's worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great scheme that is, I wish we had something similar in the UK. For a while vets had to write an RX to allow clients to get cheaper meds elsewhere (you can buy meds from other suppliers but have to have an RX obviously if needed)The rules changed and now vets can charge what they like for actually just writing the RX itself, which often negates going elsewhere to get the meds cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some great advice! We always look for generics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here. buy vyvanse online

    ReplyDelete